Our client, a financially stable and thriving alternative investment firm, is looking for a Data Engineer to join their Data Team in New York, NY as a full-time employee. The mandate of the Data Team is to provide both traditional and alternative data sets to the front office. You will work closely with the Front Office Analysts and Quantitative Analysts to improve data ingestion and analysis. As a business-critical firm-wide resource, members of the Data Team interact with investment professionals to provide data expertise on strategy development. The role requires intellectual agility, solid judgment, exceptional communication skills, and the ability to deliver. The ideal Data Engineer will synthesize their experience in development, project management, and business analysis to partner with the business. Our client offers a competitive compensation package, including great benefits, relocation assistance and tremendous opportunities for growth!
* 5+ years of strong programming experience, including mastery with Python.
* 5+ years of professional experience as an engineer providing business analysis, while working directly with front office users in gathering requirements for various data sets.
* Strong SQL experience.
* Must have experience focusing on the quality and containment vs. just visualization of the data. Candidates experienced only with data analytics/pricing models of data, and traditional/alternative data will not be a fit.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Intellectual curiosity, strong analytical and quantitative skills and a high degree of self-direction.
* Effective time management and organization skills - ability to adapt to change and work well in a fast-paced environment.
* Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related STEM field.
* Microsoft SQL Server.
* NoSQL experience ( Hadoop, Spark, Redis, etc. ).
* UI development experience ( Angular ).
* Strong knowledge of finance with experience working with stat arb teams.