Under the direction of the CFO, the Controller manages the tactical and strategic financial direction of the organization. The Controller is responsible for the accounting operations of the company, to include the production of financial reports, financial and accounting systems, and establishing and enforcing controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Lead and mentor the accounting team to develop the vision needed to ensure the company executes with speed and accuracy in a high growth environment.
- Accounting oversight of all accounting functions including, accounts payables, fixed assets, consolidation and reporting, treasury management and tax.
- Develop and enforce proper business controls in all facets of accounting, systems and processes. Proactively search out accounting standards to ensure proper adoption.
- Develop timely and accurate financial management reports including metrics needed to manage the company. Own the monthly and year-end close process on a consolidated basis to ensure accuracy and compliance with GAAP. Proactively communicate key risks or opportunity to plan and partner with financial planning and analysis to delivery metrics and forecasts.
- Ensure financial systems, processes and policies are in place for the company’s size and complexity. Identify opportunities to automate and streamline routine activities to run the organization more effectively as the company scales.
- Tax and audit oversight: own and oversee the year-end audit, periodic bank audits, and tax reporting and audit compliance, while managing the relationship with external auditors.
- Manage day to day activities of the corporate accounting department for the accurate and timely dissemination of financial management reports including, but not limited to, internal and external monthly financial statements and annual audits and budgets.
- Oversee the activities of the disbursement department, ensuring the accurate and timely processing of accounts payable, purchase orders, petty cash, core employee expense reports and cash control.
- Assure corporate income tax compliance to assure the accurate and timely completion of all corporate income tax returns taking full advantage of all favorable tax codes.
- Establish and maintain systems and controls that verify the integrity of all systems, processes and data, and enhance the company's value.
- Serve as the company's expert for all accounting matters, partnering with other departments (on structuring policies, and advising with respect to accounting and tax implications).
- Participate in a wide variety of special projects and compile a variety of special reports.
- Support ad hoc projects as needed.
- Bachelors of Science in Accounting or Finance
- Certified Public Account (CPA) license preferred
- Minimum of five years' experience including five or more years as a corporate or divisional Controller, ideally for a multi-site operation
- Experience with Intacct Financial Systems / applications
- Ability to scale the accounting and tax functions in a high growth environment
- Strong technical accounting framework balanced with a solid business mind
- Strong working knowledge and understanding of US GAAP, accounting rules and regulations
- Able to respond effectively and discreetly as needed to sensitive accounting inquiries and complaints
- Effective and persuasive presentation skills on controversial or complex accounting topics to top management and public groups
- Highly responsible and detailed oriented
- Strong leadership skills